Pages within this Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

I love poetry.  And I have taught it roughly the same for the last 9 years or so.  So this year, I thought I'd switch it up and bit, and instead of crafting a different type of poem for their portfolio entries, I thought I would have them craft one poem (from a memory or topic they loved) and then have them rework that same poem, focusing on a different aspect of poetry each time, i.e. tone/mood, theme, figurative language, etc.  So their portfolio would all be the same topic, same poem really, just altered to highlight a new aspect of poetry each time.  We'll see how that goes!

At this point in the lesson, they have crafted an original poem about a topic they love.  For collection purposes, we started with T-charts like the ones below:


Best  Worst First Last
dinner dinner job  
date date day of school day as a student
vacation vacation/trip time I saw my kids time I say my Grandpa
job job  
friend enemy  
   
   
   
Hobbies Skills Favorite Things Least Favorite Things
cooking teaching  football nails on a chalk board
kayaking reading my children failure
swimming singing music laundry
reading   water anything  
   
   
   
 
Then we choose one of the subjects, one we could really talk alot about and we created a web of that topic with all the words that popped in our heads from that topic.  I chose kayaking, because it is almost kayaking season and I love it!! I'll  upload my web and the resulting poem after bit.  (The students are coming! LOL)




No comments:

Post a Comment