Pages within this Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Extreme Micro-Fiction

Narrative, along with several other literature magazines and blogs, randomly have contests where short fiction is concerned.  But one of my favorites, and by far the most challenging, is the extreme micro-fiction stories.  For the contest in Narrative, the word count had to be 6 words...no more, no less.  The entire story!  The idea comes from Hemingway (doesn't everything?!).  Legend has it that he was asked once to write a story in only six words.  He wrote:  "For Sale:  Baby shoes, never worn.".  Now, I'm no Hemingway, but the idea intrigued me, so, I thought I'd take a stab at it.  Below are a few I have been working on.  Let me just say that it is amazing how much editing you have to go through to create a 6 word story!

Two brothers, one girl.  I won.
Wanted:  Politician who held real job.
Blooming lilacs.  Achoo!  God bless you!
If only he would have listened!
Teaching?  More like "three ring circus"!

I could do this all night!  But, alas, I actually do need to attend to that "three ring circus" in the morning!  Let me know what you think!

5 comments:

  1. very cool...love it...this is what u should do rae...and ill be ur publicist....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is:
    Two brothers, one girl. I won.
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. babys appointment missing heartbeat gone ...empty
    by trinity w

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these, Rachel. I did these as six word memoirs in September and then the kids used Photostory to make them digital. I got to know them at the beginning of the year a little faster that way. It was loads of fun for all of us!

    ReplyDelete